What actions can I take to receive money that is owed to me?

For the first 5 months of this year, I was taking care of my ex-boyfriend. I paid for his bills and his poor habits. He verbally agreed that he was going to reimburse me for everything that was owed to me. I have numerous witnesses that have heard him say that he’d pay me back once he got a job. He now has a job and said he’d pay me $100 a week, but that’s not working for me because he has only paid me $200 in 2 months. I would like to be reimbursed for my money ASAP. I can’t take him to small claims because the amount is too much. I don’t know what to do and I need some legal advice on attaining my money.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would try and get your former boyfriend to sign a promissory note to you for the amount owed that contains an attorney's fee clause. The note should hav a rate of interest on the amount due such as 3% per annum with a stated amount due each month until paid in full.

If he signs the note and makes payments, then you are fine. If he signs the note and fails to make payments, then you can find an attorney to bring suit against him. If he refuses to sign the note, then you need to consult with an attorney about bringing a lawsuit against him for the money owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.