What actions can I take if someone stole my credit/debit card number?

It was used for over $500 in 2 separate transactions ($570.11 to be exact); 1 transaction has already gone through. It was a point of sale transaction. My bank is working to reverse it. The other was an on-line purchase that I caught while it was still in pre-authorization, so that company is working with me to stop it. The person didn’t even have to use my name for the on-line transaction. Just the card number. When I called to inquire about the purchase, they couldn’t find any orders under my name or address, so hopefully tomorrow I will know the persons name/alias and/or shipping address. I have never shopped or made purchases with either of the businesses before.

Asked on March 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) If you can show that this was not you, you should not be liable for the charges, and it sounds like the bank and the credit card processor are working on it.

2) You should close down this card/account and open a new one, with a nenw number--that way, the person who stole the current number will no longer be able to charge in your name.

3) You should contact the credit rating agencies (e.g. Experion or Experian; Equifax) and get your credit reports--see if any accounts or loans have been taken out in your name, or other debts incurred.

4) You may wish to pay for one of those credit-monitoring services for a year.

5) Once you know--if you know--who did this, you can and should report him or her to the police. If you suffered any monetary losses, you can also sue for compensation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.