What action can I take in school if someone threatens me?

A fellow student texted me to meet him
after school and fight him. He also used
profanity, and other bad language.

Asked on January 17, 2018 under Personal Injury, New Mexico


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You should report the kid to the school authorities such as the principal and assistant principal.
If the kid attacks you, your parents can file criminal charges against him for assault and battery. Your parents can also sue him and his parents for assault and battery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.