What action canI take against my boss for sexual harrassment and slander?

Myself and another girl that I work with are being wrongfully accused of stealing. It has come full circle around our small town, and I am mortified of the accusations. Before this, my employer tried to have sex with me twice; I isaid no to him. He also claims to have had sex with the other girl; she denies this. There has never been a boss/employee line drawn. I feel like because I have not had sex with him, that he is trying to get rid of me. The other girl quit. He has been using cocaine and acting as a boss while while drunk. This is a bar. I want my name cleared.and I feel helpless.

Asked on December 21, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) Sexual harassment at work is illegal; there are laws specifically against it, as well as many court decisions/cases. You could possibly sue the employer and/or file a claim with the federal or state labor department.

2) Making untrue statements of fact about a person, to other people, that damage her reputation may be defamation, which is another thing that can give rise to a cause of action and lawsuit.

3) If someone improperly tries to get you arrested (e.g. for theft) on false pretenses, that is illegal and is something that may be sued over.

You and/or the other woman should speak with an attorney; you may have several causes of action against your employer. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.