Were my rights violated if I received a call from a collection agent and when I asked her to send a copy of the bill in writing she said no?

I reminded the agent that by saying no to my request, it would be a violation of the FDCPA. She then agreed to send me a copy of the debt. She also yelled at me and said she would not process my request. Then she shouted you are going to pay this bill. Her attitude changed when I mentioned The FDCPA. She was still hostile but she agreed to send the bill. I reported the incident to the BBB. They responded and admitted that the agent shouldn’t have did that, but stated they did not violate the FDCPA because I will be receiving a verification letter. But only after I had to pressure the agent.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written concerning the conduct of the representative for the debt collection company there was a violation of federal and state law with respect to fair debt collection practices in this country.

The yelling and flat out refusal to send documentation to substantiate the claim would be a violation of such federal and state acts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.