What to do if I had a car accident and no one was declared at fault in the police report but I am now being sued?

It was a “He said/ She said” case. I got a paper from an attorney demanding said amount of money and was told in the paper to contact my insurance in order for them to protect my interest. my insurance company sent a letter to me and the attorney stating that no one was at fault and they weren’t paying out. Now I have been court summoned and am curious what my next step is. Will my insurance company need to be notified and will they do anything else or should I contact an attorney from here?

Asked on April 10, 2014 under Accident Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, notify your insurer: they have a duty not just to pay out claims but also to defend you when you are sued--even if you are sued improperly (e.g. when you were not at fault). Send them anything you received from the other party and the opposing lawyer. If your insurer does not step in to defend you (e.g. hire an attorney for you), then you may have a lawsuit against them for breach of contract--for violating their obligation to defend you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.