What are my rights regarding a security deposit thatis not being returned?

I leased a home for 4 ½ years and during that time nothing was repaired, painted or replaced. Now that I moved out the landlord has kept my $2,640 deposit or items  that should have been normal wear and tear. I also had a verbal agreement to pay the second Wednesday of every month and he is now charging me a late fee for all 52 months to keep my deposit. Do I have a recourse?

Asked on September 13, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Did you have a lease for the 4 and a half years or just the first year and you were a month to month thereafter?  Generally, written leases can not be modified orally.  They are contracts and are governed by contract law.  That is a rule.  If, however, you were a month to month tenant and agreed to that term orally, without a late charge fee, then I think you have a very good case to contest.  Also, normal wear and tear is not a charge that can be deducted from a security deposit.  Some states even go so far as to state that re-painting and cleaning can not be deducted (I would try and see if your state has any web sites to let you know about this; try your department of housing or state attorney general's office).  Start an acrtion for recovery of the money.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.