We were told a lower tax rate when we bought a house. We have the fraudulent quote on paper.

We would not have purchased the house knowing this. We are
now selling and found paperwork with this fraudulent quote. We
have been paying higher taxes than expected for three years.
We are now selling and having trouble because of the higher
taxes rate.

Asked on September 14, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You most likely do not have any recourse in this case, unfortunately. Fraud is a misrepresentation made to induce you to do something, upon which you reasonably rely. Generally, if you can and should confirm the information for yourself--if it is publically available--it is not considered "reasonable" to rely on what you are told; rather, you should verify the information. Tax rates and amounts on property are publicablly available; you could have confirmed the tax rate. Therefore, it would most likely not be considered reasonable for you to have relied on what you were todl, and so this would not be fraud and you would not have an actionable claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.