What do we do if our apartment was not ready for us to live in on our move-in date?

We were supposed to take possession of a home on the first of the month. When we arrived the power had been vandalized to the point where nothing works. They have sent out contractors to bid to fix it but here we are 4 days into our lease and still can’t move in? e have no power except what I rigged and there are so many other things not right they are too numerous to list. The A/C units were stolen a while back and we were guaranteed they would be done by the time we took possession; they still can’t even give us a date. It goes on and on. We are so broke. We had to be out of our apartment 4 days ago.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are unable to move into the rental that you contracted with the landlord to live in due to it being vandalized, you have the following options.

You can wait until the premises are ready for a move it or you can advise your landlord that given the circumstances and the need to have actual premises to live in, you cannot go ahead with the lease and will be seeking another place to live.

If the second option is your choice, make sure you obtain a written release from your landlord regarding any further obligation under the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.