If my children’s father and I were never married and I have physical custody of our children, do I have legal custody also?

I cannot find it in any of our children’s support papers from the court. I need to know if I make the decisions about their medical matters. I have for the last 10 years but now their father wants to be a part of it and I don’t think that’s right.

Asked on July 18, 2015 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Child supoort orders are generally separate from Custidy and Visitiation orders.  If theer is no custody order granting him joint custody for decision making purposes and you were never married then you have the say so here.  But understand: he can go to court at any time to request the right. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.