What to do if we were married 11 months ago out of state and are now having a small ceremony in our home state?

We want our families present. Will we need to apply for another license for this? We already have our license frommthe first ceremony. I have been asking around and no one seems to have an answer. I just need to know what we will need for this. My uncle will be our officiant; he is a deacon in yet a third state.

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the license that you have received for getting married has not been signed by the person who did the ceremony 11 months ago and filed with the county department of vital statistics, then you can go ahead with the ceremony that you have planned and use the license that you received.

If the license has been filed with the county of vital statistics from where it was issued, then there is no point to have another license issued to get married since you are married. I would just go through with the ceremony and deem it a "second" ceremony.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.