What is our recourse and what should be our next steps if we were hit by who we believe was an uninsured driver?

He gave the policeman an “insurance card” but we have been unable to find documentation of the noted company anywhere on the internet. He has also been evasive in whether or not he has reported the claim to the company. He has said he would the first couple times we called but is now not answering our phone calls. The estimated damage is approximately $2,000.

Asked on November 3, 2015 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy, you can file an uninsured motorist claim with your company to have your car repaired.  Your insurance company will sue the at-fault party for the amount it pays on the claim.
If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence for the property damage (cost of repairs to your car).  After obtaining a court judgment against the at-fault party, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.