We want to get divorce and my husband told me we don’t need lawyer . Is it right to do that?

I was married to a us citizen for almost 4 years now
and wanted to divorce him because he is abusive.
He is mean to my kids from my past and don’t want
them living in his home . He knew I have nothing and
no child support in my country since I’m from
Philippines . We bave a daughter together and want
only to pay me a 300 when he makes 100,000 a
year we live in Missouri . I don’t work , I don’t rely on
government support. Problem is he won’t let me get
a lawyer and want me to agreed on his want. To give
up my right and can’t even afford to move out
because I have no money . How will I make it? I can’t
work since my husband has to go way every two
weeks of. Month to work in Alaska ? What should I
do ? I don’t know my rights here .

Asked on May 29, 2016 under Family Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You really should have a lawyer to represent you. There are agencies and groups that provide free legal assistance to individuals who qualify. Legal Aid is one of those services. Also, you can also check to see if there is a law school in the are where you live nearby to where you live; they run free/low cost clinics that handle divorce cases. Additionally, you can contact yout county/city bar association to see if it has a list of attorneys who will take your case for free or at least for a reduced fee based on your circumstances. Further, you can check online for women's support groups and see if one can provide a list of lawyers who can help you. Finally, you can contact your the Department of Social Services to see if it can refer you to free legal services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.