What will happen if we sold a truck and now I just noticed the check bounced?

I sold my dad’s truck last Friday for $1200. I took the check to the bank and put it in my wife’s account. Because that’s the account we pay our house payment out of every month. Tonight she checked the account’s balance and noticed the check bounced. We’ve called the guy, and he’s out of town, and want be back until next Tuesday. He’s willing to take care of the check. My main concern is will the bank have us arrested because we’ve already spent the money? We want have it to replace next month? We both get paid once a month. We just don’t want to be arrested.

Asked on June 14, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the circumstances that you have written about, your bank will not have you arrested for a check that a third party gave you that failed to clear. Rather, the bank will request that you make good on the check within a certain time period where you will be assessed certain fees for the check.

If you cannot do so, then the bank may bring a civil action against you for the bad check. I suggest that when the buyer of the vehicle that you sold makes good on the check as promised, that an extra amount be included to cover the bank fees that you will be assessed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.