If the sellers sign a mutual release, does that deny them the ability to attempt to sue us for any further damages incurrred because of a failed purchase agreement?

We signed a purchase agreement for a home and selected the option for a buyers inspection. Our home inspector’s report revealed many things, including 7 items that were listed as “major repairs /safety hazards”. Several items directly revealed issues about the windows. We cannot come to an agreement to remedy the home inspection. We would like to be released from the contract but want to insure that the seller will not be able to sue us for anything in the future.

Asked on January 31, 2013 under Business Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you and the sellers of the home that you purchased signed a mutual release as to each other terminating the contract without recourse as to the other where you get your earnest deposit back, then under the laws of all states in this country the properly drawn release should prevent each party from suing the other in the future as to the transaction that you have written about.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney to assist you in drafting up the release.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.