What to do If we signed a contract for photography services which included a non-refundable deposit but the service was never rendered?

After signing the contract, the photographer/business owner would cancel the scheduled session, stating weather issues (however weather turned out ok), then stopped communicating via email, phone, or text message. Ultimately, because of time constraints and need to get the service completed, we went with another company. Is the deposit we paid recoverable since the business never held up its end of the contract?

Asked on April 27, 2014 under Business Law, Florida


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Well, the first thing to do is to have an attorney read the signed contract. Second, based upon that reading and the amount involved, the suggestion might be for you to file in small claims court as soon as possible.

Shawn Jackson - California Business Development Attorney

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.