What to do if we signed a contract with a construction company to fix hail damage but have had issues with communicating with them?

They are not providing us with a copy of the estimate they set to our insurance. Our insurance and the construction company have not set a “price agreeable” yet. We are wondering if we are bound to this construction company because of the contract or if we can hire a different company to do the work?

Asked on November 12, 2014 under Insurance Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Price is an essential term of the contract.  Since you signed a contract in which the price was not specified, you have a defense to enforcement of the contract against you.

Since there isn't any valid contract without a price being included, you can hire another construction company to repair the hail damage.   It would be advisable to inform your insurance company in writing about this prior to entering into a contract with another construction company.


If the first company claims that there is a valid contract, you can sue them for breach of contract for failure to communicate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.