What to do if our security deposit is not being returned?

We recently rented a condo for a week and paid a $250 security deposit. The landlord claims we broke the garbage disposal and is charging us. The kitchen was filthy when we arrived, dishs in dishwasher, liquid in trash can and garbage disposal never worked. I noticed other guests had written in a guest book and mentioned that the garbage disposal did not work. I simply noted ktichen/disposal as well in guest book, specifically mentioning how garbage disposal never worked. Landlord claims we broke it. We put corn on cob and beer lid in it. We never ate corn on the cob nor drank any beer during our stay. It is obvious the prev tenants and the clean crw neglect the kitchen. Landlord say I should have called but others just wrote in book as well.

Asked on August 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In Pennsylvania, a landlord has 30 days from the end of the lease to refund a security deposit, Alternatively, the landlord must, within 30 days, provede a letter itemizing( describing )  the damages and resultig deductions from the security deposit and return the balance to you. If you disagree, your recourse is to file a a lawsuit ( civil complaint ) in your local District Court. Following that, the District Court Judge will schedule a heariing. The Judge will hear the testimony of the landlord versus you ( the tenants  ) and decide who is right.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.