If we received a letter from a company that says we owe them for a mistake they made over 4 years ago, is there a statute of limitations on such situations?

Evidently this company purchased another company. Back 6 years ago the previous company called and told us they inadvertently paid a property tax bill for the wrong property. They state that they paid our property taxes and that we owe them that money back. We never heard from them again until a few weeks ago when we received a letter stating the same as they did 6 years ago. They have threatened to turn us over to a collection agency and/or take us to court. Is there a statute of limitations on such situations?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Under the laws of most states in this country, from what you have written, the statute of limitations for a common count claim such as you are writing about is four (4) years from the date of the mistaken payment. This is the law in California.

I suggest that you may want to speak with an attorney that does contract law to write a letter on your behalf to the company that is making a demand upon you for an alleged debt that is six (6) years or so old.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.