WIf we move into our apartment recentlyand we were uninformed that there is a cockroach infestation, 9s there anything we can do?

I told the apartment manager about the problem and he came and sprayed his own mixed up stuff which did not work being as the whole building is infested. He has a bi monthly extermination done at the beginning if July. He failed to tell the people doing the extermination to do our apartment also. He said he didn’t think we were here and didn’t look to see if our car was outside. There are broken windows that i informed him of and he said he was going to come by on Monday but we never heard from him. Today I bumped the sink by accident and it fell off the wall.

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Okay so there are a lot of issues going on here.  Most of them deal with your right to be safe and the Warranty of Habitability that somes implicit in a rental agreement.  So what you need to do is to go down to court and to start an action that alleges a breach of the warranty and to ask the court to allow you to pay your rent in to ciurt and for an abatement (reduction) of the rent for the time that these conditions have existed.  If the landlord does not take care of these issues with in the time permitted by the Judge then you can ask that Judge void your lease agreement and let you out with out penalty.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.