If my 16 year old son just became a father but is unemployed and full-time high school student, will he have to pay child support ?

If so, is it based off me and my husband’s income or some other means? The mother will be 18 in a few months. She didn’t list him on the birth certificate but she has now gone to health and welfare to seek child support. She won’t let my son see the child either. If he pays child support, what do we do about custody?

Asked on November 8, 2012 under Family Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a parent regardless of age of the minor child he or she is the parent of is responsible for child support. As such, your sixteen (16) year old son would be responsible for child support for his child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.