What can we do if we leased a vehicle but had to declare bankruptcy yet have continued to make our lease payments even though they aren’t reporting them?

We had to declare bankruptcy 3 years ago. The lease is up in 2 months. They haven’t been reporting our payments to the credit agencies, so we don’t have any auto payment history on our reports. What can we do?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Get a copy of your payment history from the auto finance company.  Then write a letter to all three credit reporting agencies with a copy of that payment history, requesting they report your payments made to the auto finance company.  They don't have to report those payments if they don't want to, but they most likely will if you provide them with adequate documentation and it's not a big hassle to them.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.