We just signed closing papers but it hasn’t recorded yet, who is responsible for damages that occur with the home between now and recording time?

When we did the walk through, there was no
electricity owner had it cut off and when we
went back to move our things in, noticed there
was a leak from the washer and dryer room that
has run from 2nd floor all the way to the
ground. She was supposed to leave the
appliances, this leak could have damaged as we
dont know how long the washer had been
unhooked. If there had been power at the walk
through, we would have likely seen that. She is
blaming us for the water damage, saying we
caused it when we got there and is refusing to
do anything about it

Asked on December 8, 2018 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

It depends when the damage was done--pre-closing or post-closing. The closing is "dividing line" in ownership: before closing, even minutes before closing, it is the seller's house, and she must pay for or make good an damage. After closing, even moments later, it is the buyers' house, and they are responsible for damage. So if the damage occured pre-closing, the seller is responsible for it, and if she will not voluntarily pay, you could sue her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.