What to do if we just purchased an RV with an installment loan agreement and the bank now wants additional money paid because the dealer “forgot” to include something?

Purchased RV and completed the loan paperwork. Picked up the RV on Friday. Received a call from the lender that we needed to come up with another $2000 because they left off the rear deck fencing when they processed the loan paperwork. Are we liable for their mistake? All of our paperwork shows what we ordered should we be required to come up with the extra money now that we have already signed the agreement and have received the RV?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written agreement for the purchase agreement for the RV signed and dated by you and the dealer, the agreement is the agreement that you have as to the amount you are obligated upon.

For the lender to want to charge you additional monies for a mistkae by the dealer that you had no knowledge about (unilateral mistake) is not a legal basis to change the terms of the purchase and the loan you received for the RV. I would sign no new agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.