What to do if we hired a tree contractor to top 3 trees at our rental property but it’s been a year and he only finished 1 tree?

We singed no contract . What can we do?

Asked on October 19, 2015 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you paid him for work which he has not done, you could sue him for breach of contract in this case, breach of the oral or verbal agreement, as well as for unjust enrichment being enriched by pocketing your money without doing the work and possibly fraud lying about what he could or would do to get the money back.
If you haven't paid him for the un-done work, then simplest is to hire a new contractor and treat any obligation to give all the work to this person as terminated by his own breach.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.