If we have an employee that wants us to pay his monthly commission to a company his wife owns so as to avoid child support, is this allowed by law?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If he is an employee, you can't pay his salary--including his commission--to a company; if he's an employee, you need to pay him individually, and the salary is reported against his SSN. 

If he is an independent contractor--and legitimately an independent contractor, which means he meets the requirements to be considered one, which you can find on the U.S. Department of Labor website--then as independent contractor he can have you pay his compensation to an LLC or corporation if he chose, and you would issue a 1099 at the end of the year using that business entity's employer identification number (EIN) or tax-ID number.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.