Do we have any rights if we have accessed our back property for 30 years across what was my late mom’s property which my brother now owns?

We have accessed our back property for 30 years across my mom’s property. Just prior to her death, my brother convinced her to give all her property to him. Now he says he is going to fence off the land, which will cut off access to our back property where my daughter now lives (on our property). Can he do that?

Asked on July 18, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The issue is whether any other access--even if longer, more inconvenient, etc. (like taking the long way around on public roads)--exists. If there is other access, he may absolutely do this: there is no obligation for one property manager to make things easier or more convenient for another. On the other hand, if the back property is totally "land locked" and there is no other access, you may be able to have a court (by filing the appropriate lawsuit) give you an "easement," or right to use/transverse some right of way or path on your brother's land; courts will do this when otherwise, certain land is simply not accessible in any other way. To explore this option, consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.