What to do if we have a neighbor who keeps calling the city with fabricated stories and my husband and I?

The most recent time she called the city was this passed weekend when she called animal control about our cat being on her property. This is after she fed our cat on her porch to lure him and admitted to us she’d been trying to get him to come in her house. After speaking with animal control she said she had been trying to trap our cat. What action can if any can we take against her? We feel harrassed.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have had repeated incidents with your neighbor where you believe she has been harassing you to the point of vexation, you should consult with an attorney about the possibility of filing a petition for a restraining order against her. Typically family law attorneys have experience in getting such petitions filed for clients.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.