If we have a large pole barn and my husband has hired a “friend of a friend” to build a loft in it, do we need to do anything to protect ourselves from liability, etc.?

How do we protect ourselves from a potential lawsuit from injury, unsatisfactory work, etc..?

Asked on February 10, 2015 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Don't hire the "friend of friend" unless he is a licensed and insured contractor--that is far and away the best (possible only) way to protect yourself from all the risks you mention. If he is not licensed, for example, you could find yourself sued any anyone injured by the loft he builds since it is negligent to hire an unlicensed person for such work. You may also have (depending on your town's exact building code and regulations) problems with resale, if the loft is not properly permitted, inspectec, etc. Plus if he does not have insurance, if he does unsatisfactory work, you'd have to sue him to recover compensation--but without insurance, if he does not have the money to pay you, you will not recover anything.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.