If we have a house and want to give it to my daughter and her family since they are not able to get a loan but they will make the payments, is this legal?

What do we need to do?

Asked on July 26, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Giving the home to your daughter is legal.

You can transfer ownership of the home to your daughter with a quitclaim deed.

A quitclaim deed releases your entire right, title, and interest in the property.  The quitclaim deed needs to be signed in the presence of a notary.  

After the quitclaim deed has been signed in the presence of a notary, it needs to be filed with the County Recorder's Office.  The quitclaim deed is effective upon being filed with the County Recorder.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.