How can we legally able to get out of a lease and how do we go about it?

We have a 6 month lease that states our apartment will come with all appliances included. Upon move in we did not have a dryer and even after we recieved the dryer, both the washer and dryer have been out of order and barely able to be used.I have asked to get out of the lease early and have given my required 60 day notice but the landlord goes back to the lease that I signed.I advised him that he is already in breach of contract do to the fact that we have not had working appliances since day one.We were also misinformed as to what type of neighborhood we would be moving into.We moved from out of state and depended on apart manager to give honest info.This is the ghetto.

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are correct about the landlord breaching the lease, but under the laws of all states in this country the breach does not seem material warranting the termination of your lease without recourse to you. What is allowable is to demand a reduction in your monthly rent due to washer and dryer situation from the landlord.

If such cannot be agreed upon then small claims court seems to be your recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.