We had a will made up in newJersey, do I need to change our address on the will for it to be legal in fl

We had our wills made up in NJ with our NJ address, do we need to change our address to our Florida address on our wills?

Asked on June 14, 2016 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your Will was executed in accordance with­­­­ the laws of the state in which you previously resided, then it is valid in your new state of residence. That having been said, it is impor­tant to have it reviewed. Depending on how long ago you drafted your Will, due to changes in the law and life circumstances, you may wish to execute a new one. For example, there are restrictions on who can be named to serve as your executor that vary from state-to-state.   
Note:  Even though the main probate administration would occur in your current state of residence if you own property in another state, you may be required to open a probate estate in that jurisdiction. 
At this point you may want to consult directly with a local attorney on all of this. You want to make sure to protect your rights and ensure a smooth administration of your estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.