If we had a new baby and need to add him to our daughter’s child support case, would it need to be done as a modification of the existing order?

Or we would have to establish a new case? We are doing this pro se.

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Family Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If the father of the newborn is the same father as the daughter you simply file a new petition with the same case number as the daughter's matter for child support. If the fathers are different, you have to file a whole new petition with the court and get a different case number that the one for your daughter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.