What to do about a landlord’s bad faith?

We had a lease with a landlord that stated if the rent was paid by the 5th it was considered on time, and, if not, he would charge us $50 a month. I wrote letters to him enclosing all checks. He refused to give us a receipt. He cashed the checks 2-3 weeks after they were written. When we requested our deposit back, he named charges for each month for late rent. He also treated each tenant differently. Some he did not require a lease or a deposit for a pet while he demanded a deposit for a pet and a lease from others. He recently cashed a check, for part of one month’s rent, 5 months after it was written. Do we have any recourse?

Asked on October 21, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Vermont


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You could sue him to recover any improper fees, such as in small claims court. You'd have to prove, such as by sufficient, credible testimony, that the rent was sent to the landlord on time and that he delayed cashing it. In the future, you may wish to see if there is some way to send the rent (e.g. an electronic transfer, or certified mail) that will let you prove date of receipt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.