How do I collect ona real estate debt?

We had a family farm in the family since my great grandfather. My sister and I inherited it, she signed her half over to her son, who bought it.I received half the money at the time (5 years ago) and his agreement was to make payments until he paid me off. He hasn’t made any payments and gives me no indication of paying the other half and does not communicate with me. What is my recourse? I have a contract but his signature is not on it.

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please seek help from an attorney as soon as you can.  Certain transactions have to be in writing and signed byt the party to be charged (the responsible person) in order to be valid or they violate a law known as the Statute of Frauds.  Generally speaking, transactions regardng the transfer of real property fall under that law.   Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.