If we had a flood 4 years ago which damaged our home but we forgot to cash the insurance check that we recieved, can we cash it now or ask for a new check?

Are we still entitled to that money? It was for $3,400.

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Insurance Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would first try and deposit the check with your bank aftrer making a copy of it. If it does not go through then you need to contact the issuer of the check and ask for a replacement of it so you can get paid for what was damaged.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.