If we filed Chapter 13 and I need to get an adjustable bed for my medical condition, am I allowed to finance one?

Due to medical issue my doctor wants me to get an adjustable bed. I found a store that finances 6 months same as cash. Am I allowed to make that purchase?

Asked on October 25, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can, so long as--

1) If there is already a plan, you can do so while still honoring/following the plan and staying within its bounds;

2) If there is no plan, you keep the bankruptcy court appraised of what you are doing, so the financing can be factored into the plan which is being developed. It would be a good idea to advise the court first, since that way, while you should be able to do this, if there will be any objection or concern, you can work through that before obligating yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.