What to do if we filed Chapter 13 and my employer is deducting the monies from my paycheck but it is not making all the payments?

Now we are about to be in default because we are approximately $5000 behind. What recourse do we have?

Asked on August 29, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


Greg Wiley / Law Office of Greg Wiley PLLC

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First, if you have a lawyer, you need to contact your lawyer.  That is a good reason to have one. 

I am unsure I understand what you are asking.  You employer is taking the money but not sending it to the trustee.  You need to contact the employer about that.  If the truste has filed a Motion to Dismiss, you need to object to the motion.  Some districts allow you to modify your plan to get you current.

You realy need to discuss this with your attorney.  Chapter 13 is a very difficult process and should not be left to a Pro Se debtor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.