What to do if we bought a dirt bike and my husband’s boss signed for us but today my husband was terminated and now the boss wants the bike back?

We haven’t been late or missed a payment. We just need to know our rights

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Business Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the terms of the agreement between you and the boss. If the agreement was that you would make payments to him and, once you made all payments, the bike would be yours, then so long as you honor your obligations--that is, make the payments--you should get the bike. If the agreement was that if your husband was terminated or quit, then the boss got the bike, he would get the bike. It depends entirely on the terms of the agreement. If the agreement was unclear or you and he disagree over who should own it, a key issue is in whose name it is titled: whomever it was "sold to" is the legal owner at present, and if the other person wants it, he'd have to sue for it and convince a court to give it to him based on the terms of any agreement(s) and whether those agreements have been honored (e.g. payments made).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.