What can we do if we are beneficiaries of an out of state Trust and the trustee is not answering our basic questions about the progress of the Trust?

Asked on November 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a legal action in surrogate's or chancery court seeking a court order to compel the trustee to answer certain questions and/or more generally give an accounting of the trust. Because you are seeking what is known as "equitable relief"--i.e. a court order--and not a monetary judgment, this is more complex than, for example, just suing a contractor for a breach of an agreement or contract; you are advised to retain an attorney (someone with "trusts and estates" experience) to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.