Can I legally put a lock on my bedroom door ifI am getting a divorce?

We are getting a divorce and both own the house. He is now bringing a girlfriend into our home.

Asked on March 18, 2011 under Family Law, Wisconsin


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Putting a lock on the door might be legal and might be something he can use against you in court. You can consider this person a trespasser and ask the person to leave. See if a police civil escort can come to the home and get this person to leave. The better route and one many lawyers in family court proceedings use is going to court, asking for restraining orders against the person coming into the home and even getting a restraining order or order to stay away for the other spouse. This is especially true if there are minor children living in the household or if there is domestic violence involved (present or a history thereof); the court will not look too kindly upon a person coming into the home when you two are still married. Keep in mind, some courts are also looking at the mistress (girlfriend) in cases of the spouse suing for the marriage ending.  Talk to a family lawyer in your state who is experienced with such matters and he or she can go through your better options than simply placing a lock on your bedroom door. Of course, if your are concerned about theft, you may wish to move your valuables to a safer location (family, banks, etc).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.