If we are from the UK but are now living in the US and do not have a Will, if we make a one here, will it cover my husband’s savings there?

If my husband dies, what happens to his savings? Does it go directly to me or the government? We are married and have 2 children.

Asked on September 5, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to sit down with an attorney/estate planner and figure this out. Generally speaking, for a U.S. will to be valid in a foreign country, it must be formally valid under the laws of that jurisdiction. Some foreign jurisdictions, however, will not recognize a will drafted in the United States under any circumstance or will recognize the U.S. will only under certain unique circumstances. There are tax ramifications here as well.  So maybe it would be best to think about some estate planning tools - such as trusts, etc. - to help with those issues but you need to sit down with an attorney to discuss this in detail.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.