If we are doing our own divorce and my husband noticed that the complaint I filed and had served to him was incomplete due to printer error, can I just reprint, efile with the court, and re-serve him?

He also says his copy was not signed by me. We are still within 90 days.

Asked on July 31, 2015 under Family Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can make the corrections to the complaint including your signature and anything else that was omitted on the original complaint, and file it with the court as a  first amended complaint.  Then, you can serve it on your husband. You will also need to file the proof of service with the court. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.