We are currently helping take care of our single mom’s daughter who is 14 yrs old for an uncertain amount of time.

Should we get legal guardianship or temporory guardianship of her at this time?

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that in California, temporary guardianship is only granted for emergency purposes and until the general guardianship petition can be heard.  It is a good idea if you are caring for the child to be her legal guardians.  Then you can make decisions as to her schooling, health care, etc.  Get some guidance in your area where you can explain all the facts ti an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.