Can our landlord force us to extend our lease?

We are an LLC company that had entered into a 1 year lease about 7 months ago. The owners of the building have hired a new office manager and now we are all required to sign a new lease. It requires us to all renew for another year as of the date of signing. We have, what we thought, was a binding legal contract by signing the original lease. With this new lease we would have to stay in this contract for an additional 7 months. There has been no explanation as to why we are signing new leases other than they are updating the lease. However to require such an extension doesn’t seem legal.

Asked on October 6, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You do NOT have to sign a new lease or extend the time period: the old lease is a binding, enforceable document, and the new office manager cannot ignore it or require you to sign a new one. He or she can certainly *ask* if you would--there's no harm in asking, after all--and could offer you something to make it worth your while (maybe a rent concession), but it's purely voluntary for you whether to extend the lease or otherwise sign a new lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.