iF We are a not-for-profit daycare and have 3 teachers WHO have accidently been paid for vacation time that was not due to them, Do we have the right to deduct the extra pay from their next checks?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Good question. You do not have the right to deduct unilaterally the over pay that these teachers received from their next pay check. The way to resolve the problem is to have a written agreement signed by these teachers that is dated stating that they allow so much per pay period to be debited from their pay checks for reimbursement back to their employer for the over payment they received.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.