What canI do ifI was terminated for a false harassment charge?

Charges were filed against me indicating I had a relationship with a co-worker. I was called into the main office; my husband went with me. I was told that I was terminated. The other person involved has not been terminated. All charges are false.

Asked on October 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately you can be fired for this reason, any reason, or no reason at all. This is known as "at will" employment. Typically, an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of employment; this includes terminations. Without an employment contract, union agreement, or company policy to protect you, I'm afraid that you have no legal recourse here. Also, actionable discrimination must not have been as factor in your treatment.

Additionally, as to the other party involved, your co-worker, an employer can treat employees differently; that is not all employees need be treated the same. This is true so long as no form of actionable discrimination plays a role in the differing treatment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.