Wasn’t paid agreed salary

I worked for A Cut Above landscape in
columbus ga. When I started we agreed
on a 650 a week salary as my pay. After
working there a few months I turned in
my 2 week notice last friday. They told
me not to worry about coming back so I
didn’t work any of my notice out. But I
went to pick up my final check this
Friday and instead of paying me my
regular salary that I have made while I
was working he decided to pay me 10
dollars a hour. I have most of my check
stubs where I was making 650 a week,
and text messages talking about my pay
when I started. My question is what can
I do about it?

Asked on April 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the labor department cannot or will not help you, you could sue the money (such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney). While an employer can change your wages or salary *going forward*, or for future work, they cannot do it for work already done; if you did the work without any notice that your pay was being cut, they needed to pay you at your then-current rate. You would sue for breach of contract: violating the agreement, whether written or oral, under which you worked in exchange for a certain amount of pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.