Washington State Tenant Rights

We moved out of a rental house at the beginning of may but paid the rent for may due to our lease not being up till june 1st. It has come to our attention that the landlord has hired a realty company and is actively showing the house without our knowledge or conscent even though we were required to pay may’s rent and still possess the house keys. Is this legal and are we entitled to any portion of mays rent back due to his unauthorized access to the home?

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Washington


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The landlord is permitted in most states to show the property and you cannot generally withhold his right to show your unit unreasonably.  If the property is sold while you still have time left on your lease, the new owner is obligated to honor your lease and is not permitted to kick you out.  You do not get any portion of the rent money back becasue the landlord is permitted to show the property.  If however, i damages property of yours while showing the unit or something is stolen becasue he failed to lock it up or whatever, then he can be held responsible (i.e. negligence).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.