Was it legal for my employer to fire me without my knowledge?

I have worked at my job for overt 2 years. I was an Asssistant manager for 3 months, my Manager told me I was not “performing” the way he wanted so he said I would be demoted back to a crew member, I was hourly as a manager and a crew member, I beleive he fired and rehired me in the books in order to lower my pay was that legal?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

At will employees like yourself can be fired for good bad or no reason at all absent discrimination.  Based on what you have said, there does not appear to be any discrimination.  As for the boss's decisions regarding your pay, you have a choice to leave at anytime or renegotiate if you want.  If you do not like your pay, then you should tell your boss that you cannot afford to work at the reduced pay.  See what he says.  If you think that he will fire you for asking this, then dont bother asking and look for a new job.  I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but it is the reality of the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.